Monday, December 17, 2012

The Gift of Small Things

Dear Readers,

In the wake of the tragedy in Connecticut I have found myself overwhelmed.  Overwhelmed by the news, overwhelmed by the loss, and overwhelmed by questions.  More than anything though, I have found myself overwhelmed by the idea: what if that happened to me?  But then I know, the truth is we could lose anyone in our lives in the blink of an eye.  Our time together is precious.

Yesterday, I had a list of things I wanted to "accomplish."  Instead, inspired by an upcoming cookie party, I spent the day cooking and enjoying my family.  I made scones for breakfast (the kind you just add water to that I'd won at a baby shower), my favorite turkey chili for dinner and about five dozen Christmas sugar cookies to share with friends.

The cooking spread out over the entire day.  The highlights of the day were: Muffin "singing along" to the hymns at Church; Muffin learning how to bounce (and bounce and bounce) on his new "bounce and ride" toy; feeling his little body breathing against mine in the ErgoBaby as I stamped out Christmas cookies and mixed batches of ice-blue icing; and just enjoying some down time with Sweetie as we worked around the house and loved little Muffin.

If I could pick a perfect day, it would be yesterday.  I am thankful for the good, and grateful for the gift of family and home.  May we all be so lucky.

Sugar Cookies for the Soul

1 1/2 cups of butter, softened
2 cups of white sugar
4 eggs
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
5 cups of all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1 teaspoon of salt

Directions:
Cream together butter and sugar.  Beat in eggs and vanilla.  Stir in flour, baking powder and salt.  Cover and chill for at least one hour.

Preheat oven to 400.  Roll out dough on a floured surface.  Cut into shapes.  Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 6-8 minutes (watch them carefully!).

After they cool, ice with this classic icing, with or without food color added (I chose ice blue and sprinkled the cookies with coconut that looked like snow):

1 cup of powdered sugar
2 teaspoons of milk
2 teaspoons of corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon of almond extract
*adjust amounts for desired consistency and taste

ENJOY (everything)!








No comments:

Post a Comment